Monday, August 2, 2010

Must Have Monday - A Job that Doesn't Suck

Once again I apologize for my lack of blogging. A few major things have happened in the past few weeks that have really taken all of my focus. The big news was that in late June, after years of being treated like absolute crap by my employer (and that’s putting it mildly), I quit my job. Just like that, with no backup plan, just confidence in my abilities and a lot of faith. I really cannot tell you how big of a role faith really did play in this. Because the day I left, I really wasn’t planning to leave. But something happened, and a voice inside of me said, “go now.” And I did. For the first time in my life, I trusted that voice. Call it what you want, intuition, your heart, God, etc. But I listened. I packed up my stuff, wrote a resignation letter, and handed in my Blackberry.

It was shocking, and terrifying, but also incredibly liberating.

I started networking like crazy – calling old contacts, calling people I had never met – and considering every option available. I did finally find a job that I thought was an absolutely perfect fit for my background and interests, and after three interviews, two new suits, and 3 weeks of sleeplessness, I landed a new position. It’s a major promotion, and I am so incredibly blessed to have found this opportunity, especially in such a short amount of time during the worst economic situation since the Great Depression.

Praise the Lord.

During the few weeks that I was sitting on my behind (although really, I am so Type A, I really couldn’t sit still. After about 2 days I was ready to write a business plan for something), I am sad to say I did not exercise like I should of. Fortunately, nothing gets your gluttony under control like unemployment, so I did cut back on the carbs. In total, I lost about 8 pounds as a result of this experience, but that’s really just a drop in the bucket.

During this time, I cancelled my Weight Watchers subscription, since I was trying to cut costs where I could. Now that I’m gainfully employed again, I am going to re-enroll and give it another go. This is a great opportunity to start fresh with everything, and I am so excited. The best part is after you cancel a subscription like that, they usually give you a great discount to entice you to come back. So win!

I am looking forward to enjoying tonight’s finale of “The Bachelorette” from the comfort of my elliptical machine. Especially after Mr. Beauty Queen decided to get his time on it in this morning when I was in the shower. He’s such an over-achiever. I’m proud of him though. Hopefully we can do this together.

That’s pretty much the scoop. I just had to check in and share what has been going on. It’s been an amazing ride. But I have learned so many things about myself during this process – things I forgot about the person I am, and what I am truly capable of. I have learned that when push comes to shove, I can move heaven and earth to achieve whatever it is that I want. And that has been a wonderful, and much needed, lesson.

I realize that today is Monday, and in the spirit of a tiny ounce of consistency for this blog, I want to share my Must Have for today: the courage to follow your dreams.

Do I advise that you randomly quit your job? Absolutely not. But I do advise you to follow your heart – regardless of whether it’s rational, or what people have to say about it. Don’t settle for anything less than what you deserve, and what is going to make you completely happy.
Photobucket

P.S. I really do want world peace.

1 comment:

  1. you go girl!!!! Can't wait ot see what is comign down the pike for you!

    ReplyDelete

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers